From: Eugene Lazutkin <eugene <at> lazutkin.com>
Subject: Re: and in other news...
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.web.dojo.devel
Date: Wednesday 9th December 2009 00:23:47 UTC (over 9 years ago)

For those who missed it: http://lazutkin.com/download/hicharts.html

Compare to: http://www.highcharts.com/

There is nothing special about this hack: Dojo comes from Google CDN, no
special build was done, all charts are Chart2D widgets, a primitive
theme was created to save on typing. In short look at the code.

Features used:

1) Animated column/bar chart initialization --- added by IBM guys in 1.4
(committed in November 2009). The only fairly recent feature.

2) Actions (tooltip, magnify, highlight, move slice) --- available since
May 2008.

3) The rest is available since we have Dojo Charting.

To sum it up: we could make a demo like that long time ago, yet we
preferred to moan and wail instead. The only truly missing thing is the
imagination and the knowledge of what we have (my fault completely).

Somehow this is always the problem with Dojo. I know for sure that there
are pretty cool applications written with Dojo, yet practically all of
them are behind the proverbial closed doors. We have so much stuff so we
cannot concentrate on the message. A lot of stuff is mentioned in
passing, and a lot of things are not mentioned at all, and wait to be
discovered.

Lack of docs? Nope. I committed dojox.form.manager back in October of
2008 and fully documented it at that time. Yet it started to get some
traction only when I did a presentation on it. So the docs are not the
main reason for obscurity. We are bad at promoting what we have.

So what? Stop trying to find technical reasons to cover the non-existing
marketing. A product can be slow, buggy, incomplete, and so on, yet it
can be popular (too many examples to list). No matter how fast we made
it, how many visual tweaks we add to it, how many times we rewrite it,
it will be in the same place it was before --- nowhere. We need a
mindshare first with what we have. All technical tweaks can happen later.

Eugene Lazutkin
Dojo Toolkit, Committer
http://lazutkin.com/

On 12/01/2009 12:03 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
> Our charts still don't look this nice or load this fast by default:
>
>     http://www.highcharts.com/demo/
>
> *sigh*
>
> --
> Alex Russell
> [email protected]
> [email protected] BE03 E88D EABB 2116 CC49 8259 CF78 E242 59C3 9723

CD: 11ms