From: Markus Rechberger <mrechberger <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] [Em28xx] MPL-licensed V4L kernel modules (em2880)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.video.video4linux
Date: Tuesday 10th July 2007 10:08:45 UTC (over 10 years ago)
On 7/10/07, Marcel Siegert  wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Markus Rechberger wrote:
> > >
> > > Er, excuse my baffledness, but how do you plan to get code merged
into the
> > > kernel if it isn't GPL?
> > >

> > there's nothing to worry about, the modified target code is GPL again.
> >
> > > Also, mind that the GPL being viral means that any code which bases
on GPL
> > > sources must be GPL (or GPL compatible) as well. Afaik, the MPL is
not GPL
> > > compatible, so if you put your new code exclusively under the MPL and
at the
> > > same time use the GPL-licensed v4l-dvb maincode as a base, you are
violating
> > > the GPL.
> > >
> > > I am not a lawyer, of course. Please consult someone with good
insight, for
> > > example, the Software Freedom Law Center at http://www.softwarefreedom.org/
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >   Jakob

> at least for my understanding, markus, please explain to me that,
> if you use v4l/dvb core functions that are licensed GPL, your code IS
> also GPL automatically, isn't it?
>
> and, as you told before, why is there a need to intermediate license to
MPL?

Marcel, sorry this code is out of the scope of linuxtv, it's simply
none of your business; A solution has been discussed with Linus and
Mauro already. I do not want that my code gets reused by the linuxtv
project without my authority (eg preventing code stealing).

I'd appreciate if that thread can discontinue at that part, the very
few active linuxtv developers who participated at the merging threads
forced me to go another way since I'm not interested in further
delays, you guys already delayed it for more than 1 year.. so feel
lucky.

So in case of the few linuxtv devs I would say the code is not
intended to get compiled;
In case of endusers I'd say take the code use and test it and submit
bugreports if there are any, I'm try to answer all the mails on the
em28xx ML (only very few might be delayed for a certain amount of
time)

thanks,
Markus