From: David Reveman <davidr <at> novell.com>
Subject: beryl fork
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.video.opengl.compiz.general
Date: Thursday 28th September 2006 17:12:53 UTC (over 11 years ago)
I've seen that a lot of inaccurate and faulty information about this.

All technical reasons (alternative configuration system, alternative
decorator, xinerama...) for this fork are incorrect and I know that at
least Quinn Storm is aware of this, based on a phone conversation we had
last week.

I've designed compiz to be extremely extensible. The plugin system
should allow people to do almost anything and I've put high priority in
making sure that it got updated when I or someone else found something
that couldn't be done with it. People can choose whatever development
methods they want and put whatever code they want into plugins.

With a few notable exceptions, most of the code I've seen going into
what is now beryl is not high quality code that would be considered for
compiz.

I take seriously the feedback from the community that they would like to
see more open communication from me about the compiz roadmap and what
I'm working on.  I'll do my best to improve this in the future, and I'm
always open to discussion about where compiz should go!

I'll continue to develop compiz and it looks like I'll be able to spend
more time on it from now on. I welcome contributions of new
functionality to compiz and if you have a plugin that you think should
be in the compiz repository I'll add it.

-David

CD: 4ms