From: Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran <at> fsfe.org>
Subject: anti-swpat campaigner seeks pantone patent details
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.video.gimp.devel
Date: Sunday 28th August 2005 23:39:47 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Hi all,

I'm working for FSFE on preventing software patentability in the EU.

The lack of Pantone support in GIMP is a useful example of how software
users are harmed by software patents, but to make this claim I need to be
able to point out which patents cause this problem.

Can someone tell me the patent number(s) (USA and/or EU and/or any other)
that prevent GIMP from implementing pantone?  I've done web searches,
including searching the archives of this list, but haven't found anything
solid.

If no-one minds, I'll submit the information here too:
http://www.gnu.org/patent-examp/patent-examples.html#GIMP

I've searched for patents about Pantone, but there are many and it's not
clear which ones cover what.

Any other solid info about patent problems in GIMP would also be
appreciated.  On- or off-list.

Thanks.
--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan,                               |  Support FSFE's work
against
             | software patents by becoming
                                                |    a Fellow: http://fsfe.org

CD: 4ms