From: Sven Neumann <sven <at> gimp.org>
Subject: Re: 2.8 schedule, donations and krita
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.video.gimp.devel
Date: Thursday 14th January 2010 22:03:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 21:38 +0000, Sam Tygier wrote:
> There has recently been much discussion on how long it will take to
> finish gimp 2.8, and whether donations could speed this up.
>
> Krita (KDE's image manipulation program) recently asked its users for
> €3000 to sponsor one of their old GSOC students to work for 3 months.
> they raised over €4000 quite quickly. [0]
>
> I am sure GIMP could raise a similar amount of money with out to much
> trouble, and has plenty of old GSOC students to call on. 3 months of
> work would make a pretty big shift in release time.

We wouldn't have to try to raise that money. There's a steady stream of
donations coming in and we could easily spend twice that money on a
developer if we wanted to do that. But at least so far we have always
come to the conclusion that we don't want developers to work on GIMP for
money.

I don't think that donations can speed up GIMP development. On the
contrary, paying some developers for their work is more likely going to
demotivate others.

Sven