From: Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala <at> pp1.inet.fi>
Subject: Re: Re: Advocating periodic releases
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel
Date: Friday 6th October 2006 15:14:11 UTC (over 11 years ago)
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 16:19 +0200, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> Slightly off topic, but I really can't resist... mentioning that GIT
might
> be just that advanced version control system you are looking for :) Well,
> seriously, I think it has a _lot_ of advantages to traditional version
control
> systems such as CVS or SVN. To convince some colleagues, I posted
something on
> my blog [1] regarding GIT.

While I don't really disagree, I think the way you phrase this is
somewhat misleading. Distributed systems do have several advantages over
"traditional" ones, but you make it sound as if those advantages were
unique to GIT. The main reasons to stay with CVS and SVN are inertia and
their known stability; once you decide to move to something newer the
main competitors of GIT are other distributed systems.

CD: 4ms