From: Pat Thoyts <patthoyts <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Inappropriate unicode detection warning message.
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.version-control.msysgit
Date: Monday 7th November 2011 23:16:47 UTC (over 5 years ago)
I chased up an issue I saw on stack overflow (
http://stackoverflow.com/q/5874175/291641
) where someone reported the
Unicode warning message built into winansi.c was being displayed when
it should not. Playing around with this I find that what we need to
trigger this is to have some git command that will require output of
Unicode and to add the --no-pager flag or set PAGER to cat. Here is an
example from the git repository:

C:\src\msysgit\git>..\cmd\git shortlog --author "Ask"
Ask Bjrn Hansen (5):
      When exec() fails include the failing command in the error message
      send-email: Don't add To: recipients to the Cc: header
      gitweb setup instruction: rewrite HEAD and root as well
      send-email: Allow the envelope sender to be set via configuration
      Document sendemail.envelopesender configuration

C:\src\msysgit\git>..\cmd\git --no-pager shortlog --author "Ask"
Ask Bjørn Hansen (5):
      When exec() fails include the failing command in the error message
      send-email: Don't add To: recipients to the Cc: header
      gitweb setup instruction: rewrite HEAD and root as well
      send-email: Allow the envelope sender to be set via configuration
      Document sendemail.envelopesender configuration

warning: Your console font probably doesn't support Unicode. If you
experience s
trange characters in the output, consider switching to a TrueType font such
as L
ucida Console!

In this case this is Windows 7 x64 and the console does have Lucida
selected. Interestingly in the no-pager version the unicode o-slash is
being shown correctly where is is not in the pager version. The pager
version is emitting the utf-8 encoded version and the --no-pager
version has written unicode to the console which works properly. It
looks like the msysGit code is attempting to do something as described
in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2010/04/07/9989346.aspx
but
failing somewhere.

I thought it time to get this on the mailing list.

CD: 3ms