From: Benjamin Pollack <benjamin <at> bitquabit.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to subrepo for subprojects
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.version-control.mercurial.general
Date: Wednesday 13th June 2012 23:51:37 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Jun 13, 2012, at 5:08 PM, Michael McNeil Forbes wrote:

> I think I have not explored the python approach enough.  If pip could be
used to manage ones own packages too, pulling appropriate versions from
bitbucket repositories, then this might be a very good option.

> Any pointers to discussions about how to integrate this into a
development workflow that lightly tags revisions similar to subrepos?

pip already supports packages stored in Git, Mercurial, Subversion, and
Bazaar, as well as private package installations.  Between the two,
you’ve got everything you need.

E.g., if you have a line like

   hg+http://foobar/[email protected]#egg=MyLibrary

in your requirements.txt, then “pip install -r” will check out the
library from the provided path at revision a1b2c3d4 and install it into
your virtualenv.  You handle versions the same way as always: if your
requirements change, change the version number (or checkout, in this case)
in requirements.txt, and make sure your Makefile/setup.py/whatever runs
“pip install -r” at build time.

--Benjamin

CD: 3ms