From: Matt Mackall <mpm <at> selenic.com>
Subject: Re: Lightweight rename&copies status
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.version-control.mercurial.devel
Date: Sunday 10th June 2012 20:49:32 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 07:43 -0700, elifarley wrote:
> The page http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/BundleFormat2
has been edited on
> May 2011.
>
> Is anyone currently working on the bundle read/write paths and this
extended
> format?

Sune has suggested that he might have some time to work on it some day
soon, but that shouldn't keep you from looking into it.

> Is there a prioritized list of pending problems to be solved?

No. Managing a volunteer open source project is a lot like herding
kittens, except the kittens randomly appear and disappear because they
have day jobs. We tried to keep a road map in the pre-1.0 days and
discovered it wasn't terribly realistic. It's impossible to get anything
non-trivial to happen on a predictable time scale. Also, trying to meet
a specific checklist of features delayed the release of 1.0 for about a
year past the point when it was actually ready for wide use, and thus
slowed development. I eventually just decided to release it.

Now we do:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/TimeBasedReleasePlan

which is an approach with many advantages:

- highly predictable release schedules
- no illusions of predictable feature development times
- bug fixes and new features get into users' hands rapidly
- almost always open for new development