From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd <at> over-yonder.net>
Subject: Re: Bzr development stopped WAS Re: Branching from just a part of
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general
Date: Saturday 1st September 2012 16:18:01 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:35:46PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Mark Grandi, and lo! it spake thus:

> Pretty sure it was a joke, there have been quite a few merged
> branches into trunk branch of bzr this month, with all of those
> commits that each merged branch contains.

Mmph.  Exaggeration for effect, sure.  Misconception due to lack of
seeing stuff behind the scenes, maybe.  But a thoroughly reasonably
interpretation of manifest events.

Here's the result of a quick script to put numbers behind the general
impression.  Also to give bzr a chance to burn up about 2 gig of RAM
running it, but that's another matter.

I walk down bzr.dev (up to date as of I'm typing this) mainline, and
count up for each month the number of revs, and a cumulative +/- from
diffstat.  The latter is of course a very coarse measure of anything,
but it's a passable eyeball of how many lines get changed.  Only
touching mainline revs, so I'm not counting how much churn happens on
the feature branches on the way to landed stuff.

Full output attached.  But here's the last ~12 months inline:

2011-08:   68 revs, +9660   -1327
2011-09:   68 revs, +16428  -5672
2011-10:   54 revs, +3999   -2332
2011-11:   95 revs, +9454   -3595
2011-12:   77 revs, +9396   -4421
2012-01:   49 revs, +6528   -6092
2012-02:   21 revs, +332994 -25090
2012-03:   39 revs, +3975   -5392
2012-04:    6 revs, +1223   -382
2012-05:    1 revs, +6      -2
2012-06:    7 revs, +80753  -948
2012-07:   17 revs, +2115   -1365
2012-08:    8 revs, +3672   -174

The massive linecount from June is almost entirely from rev6525
(merging 2.5 up):

and the changes are overwhelmingly from added .po files.  So I
wouldn't really count that (showing, really, what a fuzzily meaningful
item the diffstat cums are, but still).

From even a casual glance, falloff in bzr.dev landings is pretty
obvious.  Through most of the history (looking at the month level),
bzr.dev averages at least a rev a day, not uncommonly twice that.  But
the last 5 months put together don't even reach the single month
average.  It's no proof of development stopping by any means, but it
sure is a red flag likely to lead people to that conclusion...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [email protected]