From: Klaus Guntermann <guntermann-jNDFPZUTrfRmTlJ5tp4iNa5Fl2EJEGXphC4ANOJQIlc <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: PPower4 Texshop
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.tex.ppower4
Date: Saturday 2nd October 2010 15:50:13 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Hi everybody!

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 09:36:14AM +0200, Ingolf Terveer wrote:
> I'm not quite sure if ppower4 is still supported actively by the
TU-Darmstadt as the latest news and version 0.9.4 you mention originate
from 2002.

I am glad to see that PPower4 is still in use and thank all users for their
continuing support.
But I am also sad to say that Ingolf's impression of lacking active support
is correct.
Though I am still working for TU Darmstadt my duties and responsibilities
have changed a lot since 2004.

> On 30.09.2010 23:07, Giuseppe Rosolini wrote:
> > I just updated to MacTex-2010 Distribution which includes PPower4.
> >
> > I always used pp4 happily with the previous distributions. But I find
> > problems with the new distribution.
> >
> > Launching pp4 on a file which worked perfectly with previoous
> > distributions I get
> >
> > This is PPower4 version 0.9.4.
> > de.tu_darmstadt.sp.paul.PDFParserException: Encountered "68" at line
> > 0, column 382001.
> > Was expecting:
> >     "xref" ...
> >
> > Can anybody help?

The reason of your problem may be that the new distribution uses an newer
version of PDF which includes extensions that are not covered by the parser
of PPower4..
If you can downgrade to using an earlier version of the PDF output format,
you problem may go away.

Indeed the beamer class can be helpful for many cases.
I have not tried it because my current activities don't let me use TeX any
more :-(
I have seen impressive examples of beamer, but I have also noted minor
glitches that parts of the display "jumped" when going to a next version of
the same page.
But these may have been removed since ages now.

Thanks again, and happy TeXing everybody,
Klaus
--
	Klaus
Guntermann