From: Aldas Nabazas <aldas.nabazas <at> gmail.com>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] T2 SDE 6.0.0 - "Ready to Go"
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.t2.devel
Date: Friday 25th August 2006 08:42:50 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Hi all,

we are pleased to announce the final 6.0.0 release named "Ready to Go"".
It comes with a lot of updated packages (including Xorg 7.0, GCC 4.1.1,
KDE 3.5.4,  GNOME 2.14.3, and more), including security updates and many
improvements!

Prebuilt ISO images of the desktop target are available for PowerPC,
PowerPC64, SPARC64, x86 and x86-64 at:

  http://osiris.tfh-berlin.de/mirror/t2/stable/6.0.0/

Please note that we decided to majorly increase the version number from
2.2 to 6.0 to reflect the progress we made over the project we forked of.

Please note our update Roadmap at: http://www.t2-project.org/releases/

For more information please check out the full anounncement (see it below).

About T2
--------

T2 is not a common Linux distribution - it is a flexible open source
System Development Environment, allowing the creation of custom
distributions with bleeding edge technology.

With T2 you can define targets for various purposes, ranging from embedded
Linux systems with a few MB of size over server configurations to a full
desktop system featuring X.Org foundation, KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice.Org and
many more. Those targets can be compiled for use on the most common
architectures: Alpha, ARM, HPPA/HPPA64, IA64, MIPS/MIPS64,
PowerPC/PowerPC64,
SPARC/SPARC64, SuperH, x86/x86-64 - theoretically any GCC/Linux supported
one.

You can find more info about T2 at http://www.t2-project.org/about.html,
and the supported architectures at http://www.t2-project.org/platforms.html.

T2 6.0 Tree (Branch) Overview:
------------------------------

This release includes bug fixes, security fixes, updates and even some
improvements to the SDE. Most notable are:

    * u/dev (and classic /dev support) - no devfs anymore
    * hotplug++
    * fully modular kernel with early userspace to allow booting on any box
    * created an own set of kernel preconfiguration not relying on the ever
      changing in-kernel defconfigs allowing more predictable configuration
    * revisited initrd / initramfs, including all modules available
including
      auto-probing
    * modular X.Org X11R7
    * graphical network frontend
    * Live CD target
    * more flexible binary package creation - tar.bz2 as default, not
mine/gem
    * support for PowerPC64
    * support for MIPS64
    * first production ready SPARC64 support including Sun Niagara T1
    * more packages got fixed to honor libdirs, such as lib64
    * target postprocessing, no need to build an additional target just
      for the installer
    * improved automatic bootloader configuration on the first startup
    * improved network instalation
    * thousands of package updates and hundreds of new packages

You can find more info about 6.0 at http://www.t2-project.org/releases/6.0.html

Getting T2 6.0.0:
-----------------

The source tarball of 6.0.0 release can be found at:

  http://dl.exactcode.de/t2/t2-6.0.0.tar.bz2

or via svn running:

  svn co http://svn.exactcode.de/t2/tags/6.0.0/
t2-6.0.0

ISO images of desktop T2 for x86, x86-64, powerpc and powerpc64
where created with this release and can be found, as usual at:

  http://osiris.tfh-berlin.de/mirror/t2/stable/6.0.0/

Important note: we recommend to use 6.0 branch to stay up-to-date with
the latest bug-fix and security updates, you can grab it:

  svn co http://svn.exactcode.de/t2/branches/6.0/
6.0-branch

T2 6.0.0 Highlights:
--------------------

Xorg 7.0
GCC 4.1.1
Linux 2.6.17.9
KDE 3.5.4
Gnome 2.14.3
Koffice 1.5.2
Apache 2.2.3
Exim 4.63
Sendmail 8.13.8
Postfix 2.3.2
Mysql 5.0.24
Postgresql 8.1.4
Firefox 1.5.0.6
Thunderbird 1.5.0.5
Seamonkey 1.0.4
Squid 2.6STABLE3

T2 6.0.0 Changes:
-----------------

Generated statistics (6.0.0-rc -> 6.0.0):

There where 549 changesets with 1052 lines of commit messages.
Approximately 430 packages got updates, 92 issues fixed, 430 packages
or features added and 32 removed.
Arround 14 improvements and 40 security updates have been committed.

Commits by contributor:
    375  aldas
    113  rene
     19  amery
     18  chris
     12  msluis
      5  mtr
      3  susan
      2  sebastian
      2  ragnar

(This considers which contributors did fixes and merges on 6.0 branch,
not necessarily whom originally did the contribution to trunk!)

The detailed changelog can be viewed at:
http://svn.exactcode.de/ChangeLog-t2

Thanks to every contributer and tester for your contribution, help and
pations.

Yours Aldas Nabazas and René Rebe on behalf of the T2 Project.

CD: 3ms