From: Rene Rebe <rene <at> exactcode.de>
Subject: global multilib support (Was: private sparc64 multilib ncurses hack)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.t2.devel
Date: Tuesday 4th July 2006 09:51:41 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hi all,

last night I hacked some lines using build_package in creative ways to
build two ncurses flavours in one for sparc64: 32bit and 64bit binaries

This is needed, because we need a 64bit GDB to be able to debug
64bit binaries. But it is also desirable on other architectures, e.g.
libjpeg, libX11* and some more in both, 32 and 64bit variants to be
able to build a 32bit wine on x86-64 and for the still not 64bit aware
OpenOffice, likewise.

What I propose is a flag for MULTILIB worthy packages, like dietlibc,
where a config.in generates a selection list from (also like the per
package dietlibc option) so user, targets, ... have destinct control
what multilib flavours they want, per package.

This feature would also let T2 shine in yet another category, because
nearly all others have rather lacking multilib support (debian has none,
they use /emu* whatever hacks, Gentoo is not worth to mention at all,
and the others partly ship *32 bit packages out of the i386 build,
RedHat and SuSE to name a few).

I think something like that would be worth to implement in the 2.3
timeframe - maybe someone wants to implement it :-?

Yours,

--
René Rebe - ExactCODE - Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            +49 (0)30 / 255 897 45

CD: 3ms