From: Rene Rebe <rene <at> exactcode.de>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] T2 sparc64 2.2.0-rc "Get the power back!" is now available
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.t2.devel
Date: Monday 19th June 2006 14:21:19 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hi all,

we are proud to announce the availability of T2 2.2.0-rc "Get the power
back!" for sparc64, that is Sun Ultra SPARC systems.

Sparc64 suppost has come a long way back from the root in ROCK Linux
where I already started to do all the work, puzzling the pieces together
but
this is the first fully installable CD ever built for sparc64 from that
codebase.

Specifically dietlibc, used for the T2 early user-space, had to be fixed
significantly - which took about the whole last weekend.

Also special thanks go to David S. Miller for his ongoing hard work on the
low-level code chunks!

This release includes quite some fixes specifically for sparc64 since
the 2.2.0-rc release was tagged, specifically a 2.6.17-rc Kernel was used
that should suppost latest Niagara based T1000 and T2000 systems and
fixes D-cache corruption on quite some systems, latest SILO loader with
last night CDROM boot fix and X11R7 for the X windowing systems as well
as GCC 4.1.1 and GLIBC CVS from just some days ago.

As usual for sparc64 the user-space is built defaulting to 32bit for
enhanced
performace, however a full multilib environment is available.

It is a minimal-xorg build of T2 fitting in just 300MB but misses the usual
KDE and GNOME gimicks - however they can be installed from source using
our usual ports-a-like collection (I simply lack the computing power to
build
all the packages on the 270MHz machines I currently have).

Tested on Sun Ultra 5 and Ultra30, the later with the usual Creator 3D.

About T2:
  http://www.t2-project.org

Sparc64 ISO:
  http://gsmp.tfh-berlin.de/mirror/t2/stable/2.2.0-rc/minimal-sparc64-v9vis/

Yours still celebrating,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://exactcode.de | http://t2-project.org | http://rebe.name

CD: 3ms