From: Rene Rebe <rene <at> exactcode.de>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] T2 2.2.0-rc "Get the power back!" is now available
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.t2.devel
Date: Friday 2nd June 2006 18:18:01 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Hi all,

we are happy to finally announce the 2.2.0 "-ReleaseCandidate" code name
"Get
the power back!".

Front up (so no external news site overlooks this): Our x86 ISOs already
support the latest Apple Intel hardware, including the brand new MacBook
and MacBook Pro. Support includes w-lan, accelerated 3D (on the Intel
chips)
and high-definition audio. However not any hardware specific bit might be
100% supported, yet. The PowerPC64 ISOs include support for the latest
and greated Apple dual and quad core G5 machines.

To outline only the major changes in the 2.2.0 series (all changes are
nearly
10.000 SVN revision ...):

 * the legacy .gem package binary format created at ROCK Linux times
   is no longer used by default. Vanilla tarballs with any compression
   filter are used instead

 * a huge step forward is the integrated support for C++ cross compilation,
   enhancing the usability for embedded development

 * interesting for system integrators is that generating T2 CD/DVD media
   no longer required a second, time consuming, "bootdisc" target build.
   Almost any target can made installable or a livecd.

 * in addition to our first-class x86-64 support, powerpc64 is now mostly
   finalized (and MIPS64 mostly there)

An overview outlining the major change between the major versions can be
found
here:

  http://www.t2-project.org/releases/

With broader testing the next weeks we target the 2.2.0-final release for
the
next weeks of June.

The source tarball of this release can be found at:

  http://dl.exactcode.de/t2/t2-2.2.0-rc.tar.bz2

or via svn doing:

  svn co http://svn.exactcode.de/t2/tags/2.2.0-rc/
t2-2.2.0-rc

ISO images of desktop T2 for x86, x86-64, powerpc and powerpc64
where created with this release and can be found, as usual at:

  http://gsmp.tfh-berlin.de/mirror/t2/stable/2.2.0-rc/

Generated statistics:

Since the branch of the 2.1-stable series, there where 8058 changesets with
12425 lines of commit messages. Approximately 5112 packages got updates,
1550 issues fixed, 5112 packages or features added and 515 removed.
Arround 204 improvements have been committed.

Commits by contributor:
   3031  rene
   1398  amery
   1150  aldas
    785  chris
    508  jsaw
    283  sebastian
    244  mtr
    216  msluis
    168  susan
     84  ragnar
     49  valentin
     47  gweis
     36  pfister
     31  miguelb
     14  lars
     12  mika
      2  martin

Due to the sheer amount of changes, the detailed ChangeLog is left out in
this mail. The autogenerated ChangeLog from the SVN tree can be found here:

  http://svn.exactcode.de/ChangeLog-t2

Thanks to all the T2 developers, contributors and users as well as the
companies starting to pick it up as base for their products.

Have a nice summer time!

  René Rebe - T2 core architect

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://exactcode.de | http://t2-project.org | http://rebe.name

CD: 3ms