From: Luke Kanies <luke <at> madstop.com>
Subject: [Puppet Users] Relicensing and copyright, starting with Facter
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.sysutils.puppet.user
Date: Monday 9th November 2009 23:57:22 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Hi all,

As promised in the spring[1], we're finally starting to execute on our
licensing and copyright strategy.

At this point, our plan is to convert Puppet and Facter to the Apache
license, release any further projects under the same license, and
require CLAs for any significant contribution.  We're not yet sure how
hard or successful that plan will be, so we're going to start with
Facter, and then make our plans for Puppet based on how that project
goes.

Our plan at this point is to follow the Apache project for our CLAs.
For example, here's the individual contributor agreement:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

However, that is not set in stone.  This project necessarily involves
conversations with lawyers on our end, because we'll need to be able
to make promises to customers, and those promises need the appropriate
documentation to back them up.  As everyone knows, lawyers are crazy,
so those conversations might result in some kind of change of the CLA.

Over the next week or two, we'll be adding the necessary documentation
to the web site, hopefully with all of the questions answered.  Anyone
who's contributed to Facter should also expect contact from Beth Raby,
who works for me and will be tracking individual contributors down and
managing who's signed what.

Once we've got all of the contributions either assigned or rewritten,
we'll officially relicense Facter to the latest Apache license, and
reassess our plan from there.

If anyone's interested in participating in this project, please let me
know, as I'm sure we can use the help.

Does that work for everyone?

1 - http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users/browse_thread/thread/c7121b1d5b392ad3/0919e1d229ef3d3d?lnk=gst&q=licensing#0919e1d229ef3d3d

--
Aizu's Second Law:
     What changes the world is communication, not information.