From: Greg KH <greg-U8xfFu+wG4EAvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Linux kernel race condition with PTRACE_SETREGS (CVE-2013-0871)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.oss.general
Date: Wednesday 20th February 2013 01:47:23 UTC (over 4 years ago)
 wrote:
> > The mainline commits from January are by Oleg Nesterov of Red Hat.  Why
> > wasn't(?) the issue handled with due severity within Red Hat, then -
> > such that Red Hat would at the very least have a statement on whether
> > and which of their kernels are affected by now.  My guess is that the
> > full severity of the issue might not have been understood by Oleg at
the
> > time, but it's only a guess.
>
> That's the eternal debate :) Since upstream doesn't want to handle
> security and disclosure, I sure wish that distro vendors could
> regroup, step-up and do it.

I know some people don't "like" how the kernel team handles bug reports
and fixes, but seriously, this should have been pretty obvious by anyone
watching the stable kernel releases, which all distros do.  The fact
that the distros didn't notify others is not the kernel community's
fault, sorry.

greg k-h

CD: 3ms