From: Matthew Grooms <mgrooms-7J06MVNuoZVeoWH0uzbU5w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: AW: SSL VPN
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.firewalls.pfsense.support
Date: Wednesday 9th July 2008 00:54:55 UTC (over 9 years ago)
digger wrote:
> It would be great if there were a clientless SSL VPN product like
> SSL-Explorer that used a java applet for the client side but had the
> server written in something like C that would be far less resource
> intensive on the server and would run on pfsense. Does anyone know of
> such a beast?

The whole idea of clientless VPN is a complete marketing ploy. You can't
redirect traffic passing through the kernel from user land without
installing some sort of kernel mode driver and key management software
on a computer. Java is an application framework and it doesn't offer any
of this functionality natively. Sure, the key exchange and GUI parts may
run in java, but then you have a 15MB JRE dependency for 5MBs worth of
applications. How thin is that? When you read between the lines of the
marketing hype, companies usually mean easy web deployment of the client
software via a browser when they say 'clientless' solution. That doesn't
mean there isn't sophisticated client software involved.

One of the worst remote access implementations I have ever seen was a
clientless VPN product. It used java application components ( that only
worked right with certain JRE versions ) and installed a kernel mode
winsock redirector to capture traffic. I was horrified to discover that
some of what they did was accomplished by setting entries in the hosts
file as 127.0.0.1 ( yes ... really ) to force connections local. Believe
it or not, this was a rather expensive Juniper product with hefty client
license fees.

While SSL VPNs are becoming more and more popular, there is really no
standard for them to adhere. Sure, they use SSL but for what and how
effectively? You place the trust in the vendor to do the right thing and
hope for the best. This also means that there is almost no chance for
interoperability between SSL VPN product lines. Better for the vendor,
bad for the consumer. Tunneling traffic over TCP also has some severe
performance drawbacks. There is a reason why IP security protocols ( not
socket layer protocols ) are written in a connectionless fashion. They
have no business providing services like guaranteed messaging.

OpenVPN uses SSL for negotiation and key exchange. When securing user
traffic, it actually uses the IPsec ESP protocol ( w/NAT-T extensions ).
So calling it an SSL VPN solution is really a misnomer. Its really a
Hybrid solution and a very good product all around.

Luckily, there is also a standard for securing IP communications. Its
has widespread adoption, a huge installation base and inter-operates
well between vendor implementations. Its called IPsec.

-Matthew

CD: 3ms