From: Olly Betts <olly <at> survex.com>
Subject: Debian and Ubuntu packages of 1.2.2
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.search.xapian.general
Date: Thursday 8th July 2010 12:24:51 UTC (over 7 years ago)
I've updated the Debian packaging for Debian and Ubuntu for Xapian 1.2.2.

Currently there are packages of Xapian 1.2.2 in Debian experimental, but
unstable and testing still have 1.0.x until the Debian release team are
ready for a transition.

If you want to use these packages, see here for details as to how:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

The warning there about "dangerous and harmful" doesn't apply to the Xapian
1.2.x packages.

I'm using a second PPA on launchpad for backported versions of these
packages
for various Ubuntu releases:

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/xapian-1.2

For Xapian 1.2, I've stopped backporting packages to Ubuntu 6.06 (dapper)
as
users conservative enough to stick with such an old release seem unlikely
want the latest and greatest Xapian release, and the time it takes to
continue
to support it can be more usefully spent.

Packages of 1.0.x (currently 1.0.20) are still available from the usual
PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/ppa

Cheers,
    Olly