From: eryksun <eryksun <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Lotka-Volterra Model Simulation Questions
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.tutor
Date: Sunday 30th September 2012 11:59:10 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Oscar Benjamin
 wrote:

> In any case I guess you won't be pleased by my discovery that, thanks to
PEP
> 3131, the following is valid code in Python 3 (I've attached the code in
> case it doesn't display properly):
>
> # Parameters
> α = 1
> β = 0.1
> γ = 1.5
> δ = 0.075

Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, etc -- it's not the alphabet that's
the problem. Well, in a way it is because if you really used Greek
words as variable names I'd have to run your code through a
translator. It seems OK to me, however, if the intended audience is
only Greek-speaking programmers. That said, using arbitrary Unicode
characters does have the potential to introduce bugs when character
glyphs look similar or even identical:

    >>> Α, A = 5, 10
    >>> Α, A
    (5, 10)

    >>> list(map(unicodedata.name, "AΑ"))
    ['LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A', 'GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA']