From: Lenard Lindstrom <len-l-EynCeXvFgoheoWH0uzbU5w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: More DirectX related problems
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.pygame
Date: Tuesday 3rd February 2009 23:34:11 UTC (over 7 years ago)
I just had personal confirmation that SDL, maybe with the help of
Pygame, does have DirectX issues. After repeated runs of
surfarray_test.py and related programs my antiquated system(*) reached
the point that a simple pygame.init() call would segfault. I confirmed
it was DirectX by changing the video driver to windib. That worked. And
to further confirm it was a corrupted DirectX and not Python I tried the
dxdiag.exe video tests. They failed. Only a system reboot cleared the
problem. At that point I also confirmed that non of the other programs I
was using depended on DirectX. Only Python/Pygame caused ddraw.dll and
dsound.dll to be loaded and kept alive by that suspicious ddhelp.exe
character. Apparently DirectX has a memory.

So what to do. Maybe it is time to defer to the judgment of the SDL
developers and just let windib be the default Windows video driver. The
documentation can suggest that anyone experiencing performance problems
try directx.

Lenard

(*) Windows 98, DirectX 8.0 (And no, I don't want to see what DX 9 or
higher will do for me. It would probably break something).

--
Lenard Lindstrom

CD: 62ms