From: Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: OS X Lion: llvm: numpy and scipy
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.numeric.general
Date: Monday 19th September 2011 17:05:28 UTC (over 6 years ago)
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Samuel John  wrote:

> Ahoy numpy gurus :-)
>
> Would it be possible to adapt the setup.py and/or numpy/distutils to set
> the right variables on Mac OS X 10.7? (see below).
> I have looked a bit into the setup.py and the distutils package of numpy
> but I am a bit lost.
>
> Do you think it's possible to teach numpy to use different CC, CXX?

This is possible, but numpy probably shouldn't mess with these variables.
As
a user you can set them permanently by adding them to your bash_profile for
example.

And the FFLAGS

This needs to be solved. Perhaps the solution involves more wrappers for
broken vecLib/Accelerate functions in scipy? Does anyone know which
routines
are broken on 10.7? For 10.6 I found this discussion helpful:
http://www.macresearch.org/lapackblas-fortran-106.
It is claimed there that
while '-ff2c' fixes complex routines, it breaks SDOT when used with '-m64'.
SDOT is used in linalg.

> and the switch --fcompiler=gnu95 arg?

This shouldn't be necessary if you only have gfortran installed.

Ralf

> Building scipy on OS X Lion 10.7.x currently fails because of some llvm
> incompatibilies and the gfortran.
> While it's easy to get gfortran e.g. via http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/it's
hard to `pip install scipy` or manual install because you have to:

> > export CC=gcc-4.2
> > export CXX=g++-4.2
> > export FFLAGS=-ff2c
> > python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu95
>
> This way, numpy and then scipy builds successfully.
> Scipy uses the distutil settings from numpy -- as far as I get it -- and
> therefore scipy cannot add these variables. Right?
>
> It would be great if numpy and scipy would build right out-of-the-box on
OS