From: Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch <at> gmail.com>
Subject: hosting the wiki
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.israel
Date: Monday 30th January 2012 16:10:06 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi,

Following a two week downtime period in December, I had moved the python-il
wiki <http://wiki.python.org.il/Main_Page>
from its previous hosting on
hexten.net to a private server (small node in Amazon's eu-west), where it
is still hosted. (Note that we also have a static site on Hamakor, which we
can edit, but we are not free to install any software we wish there).

Due to the spam attack that preceded this downtime, I had also disabled
self-service-account-creation for a while.
After some cleanup, I have re-enabled auto account creation, but it now
requires a CAPTCHA / voice challenge (I do not like it, and I know there
are ways to bypass it, but it seems like the minimal-effort working
solution to the current problem).

Seems like the Amazon hosting costs about 70$/month, which is not cheap.
 Since I do not currently use this server for any other purpose: any idea
for alternative/free/cheaper option?

    AA

CD: 3ms