From: shahar nanes <info <at> shaharr.info>
Subject: Re: Hiring Python programmers
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.israel
Date: Thursday 1st December 2011 10:58:02 UTC (over 5 years ago)
As someone who's looking for a job now, and as a long time programmer, the
issue is not boolean.

On one hand, i totally agree - skills stand for themselves, and learning a
new language or env. shuold be / is a breeze for an experienced person.

but, OTOH:
knowing the libraries, takes time. Every language especially today has a
huge library, and that takes time to be acquainted with.
There's a huge advantage of having a deep knowledge in an environment, its
quirks, being able to read other people's code, etc.

ESPECIALLY if the programmer is to work alone, or to take a main role in a
company where he is the one that people consult with. I can program in
Java, for sure, but in the beginning i'll have to ask many questions about
implementations, system, libraries, known gotchas,...

and the last bit:
i love coding in python. I'd prefer to take a job that I enjoy, and to work
with people with a similar state of mind.

With that said, is anyone looking for a (python ~10 years) programmer (+16
years) for hire, (full / part / freelance) jobs?

Shahar