From: Meir Kriheli <mkriheli <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Idea
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.israel
Date: Sunday 6th November 2011 08:38:54 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Ram Rachum  wrote:

> I think that your criticism applies only to print statements which have a
> comma in them, and I think these are the minority.

For me the problem is that it alters the data passed to print, which is
undesired (for example print can be overriden in 3, and that may lead to
unexpected behavior).

Plus the parenthesis is a minor one for me, and won't contribute much to
the move to python 3, there are larger fish to fry (Unicode/Bytes, absolute
imports), and handling them is part of my preferred strategy for 2 to 3
(see next section).

As far as I know the `2to3` tool doesn't produce code that's
> backwards-compatible with Python 2.

And it doesn't have to. My preferred strategy for 2 and 3 is not making
sure the same code base works with both branches - difficult and error
prone and undesirable (later down the road one will be left with cruft to
clean up).

A better one is to make sure your code passes 2to3, and during build
process, if it's python 3, run 2to3 with distribute:

http://packages.python.org/distribute/python3.html

> But if `2to3` can be used, this is great. The main thing here is getting
> it to create pull requests in GitHub.

IMO pull requests for such a minor issue which won't help much with 3
compat is more of an annoyance than a blessing.

Cheers
--
Meir Kriheli
http://meirkriheli.com