From: Mike Meyer <mwm-tkOQc4lHIczYtjvyW6yDsg <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: New pattern-matching library (was: str.split with multiple individual split characters)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.ideas
Date: Monday 28th February 2011 16:04:06 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Ok, with everyone at least noticing that regular expressions are hard,
if not actively complaining about it (including apparently Larry wall),
maybe it's time to add a second pattern matching library - one that's
more pythonic?

There are any number of languages with readable pattern matching -
Icon, Snobol and REXX all come to my mind. Searching pypi for "snobol"
reveals two snobol string matching libraries, and I found one on the
web based on icon.

Possibly we should investigate adding one of those to the standard
library, along with a cross-reference from the regexp documentation?

	 		http://www.mired.org/consulting.html
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.