From: Todd Rovito <rovitotv-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Introducing PEP 434 -- IDLE Enhancement Exception for All Branches
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.ideas
Date: Wednesday 20th February 2013 02:48:16 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Please see http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0434/
for the complete
PEP.  The idea for the PEP was generated because a right click menu
was added to IDLE in Python 2.7 this started a debate about bug fix VS
enhancement see the PEP references for more information.  IDLE has
many patches that already exist but are difficult to get committed.
This PEP is designed to make it easier to bring IDLE up to speed with
modern GUI standards.  The PEP is not perfect some issues that need to
be solved:
-How do we test IDLE patches to make sure they are high quality?
Apparently the build bots don't test user interface issues.  My
philosophy is keep it simple so I was thinking that a simple procedure
for testing on each of the major platforms should be performed before
a commit.  Creating a build bot that tests user interfaces seems
difficult to me and could put IDLE improvements even more behind.
-Does it make sense to separate IDLE from the stdlib for Python 3.4?
 I understand the batteries included argument, but if IDLE development
is going to continue to proceed at a more accelerated pace than
Python, it might make sense to separate it out into its own project or
a sub-project.

Please provide comments or other concerns. Thanks.

CD: 3ms