From: Kris Kuhlman <kristopher.kuhlman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: parallel execution with nonUniformGrid3D
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.fipy
Date: Wednesday 22nd January 2014 19:16:39 UTC (over 3 years ago)
I am trying to get a fipy problem to run faster in parallel.  I have
successfully installed version 3.1 of fipy and tested it with trilinos and
pysparse.  I have run the tests suggested at

http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/USAGE.html#parallel

and everything appears to work (no errors and I am able to import the
required libraries).

My desired use case uses a nonuniform 3D grid (from
fipy.meshes.nonUniformGrid3D import NonUniformGrid3D).  Running this in
parallel, it takes about the same amount of time or longer.  If I switch
the same case to a uniform 3D grid (Grid3D), parallel execution is faster
than serial, as I expected (although not exactly optimal -- see attached
plot).

At the above link it states:

*FiPy*<http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/glossary.html#term-fipy>can
use
*Trilinos*<http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/glossary.html#term-trilinos>to
solve equations in parallel. Most mesh classes in
fipy.meshes<http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/fipy/generated/fipy.meshes.html#module-fipy.meshes>can
solve in parallel. This includes all “
...Grid...” and “...Gmsh...” class meshes. Currently, the only
remaining
serial-only meshes are
Tri2D<http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/fipy/generated/fipy.meshes.html#fipy.meshes.tri2D.Tri2D>and
SkewedGrid2D<http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/fipy/generated/fipy.meshes.html#fipy.meshes.skewedGrid2D.SkewedGrid2D>
.

which made me think parallel should work with the NonUniformGrid3D.  Is
there some other change that must be made to get speedups with nonuniform
grids?

I can provide the code I am working with, if this would help.

Kris

CD: 3ms