From: Jesse Noller <jnoller <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Call for Applications - PSF Sponsored Sprints
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.python.announce
Date: Thursday 8th July 2010 20:39:08 UTC (over 6 years ago)
The PSF is happy to open our first call for applications for sprint
funding!

Have you ever had a group of people together to hack towards a common goal?
You've hosted a sprint!

Have you ever wanted to get a group of like minded Pythonistas together to
hack
for a day? You're going to want to hold a sprint!

Whether you call them Sprints, Hackfests, Hack-a-thons, or any other name,
they're a great way to hang out with like-minded developers and work on
common
code. Sprints are an unbeatable way to build friendships and contacts that
will
last for years to come, and they're a great way to learn about something
new if
you're just starting out.

The Python Software Foundation has set aside funds to be distributed to
world-wide sprint efforts. We're anticipating 2-3 events per month focused
on
covering topics to help the entire community:

 - Python Core bug triage and patch submission (on-boarding new
contributors)
 - Python Core documentation (including process documentation) improvements
 - Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
 - Python website/wiki content improvements
 - PyPI packaging hosting site improvements
 - Contribution to other "core" projects, such as packaging related issues.

If you are interested in holding a sprint on any of the topics above and
you're
looking for some money to help out with sprint costs, we can help (up to a
max
of $250 USD). Prepare an application including the following information:

 - Date and Location: Where will the event be? What day and time?
 - Organizers: Who are the event organizers and sprint coach? Is the sprint
  being run by a Python user group?
 - Attendees: How many participants do you expect?
 - Goal: What is the focus and goal of the sprint?
 - Budget: How much funding you are requesting, and what will you use it
for?
 - Applications should be sent to: [email protected] with the subject
"Sprint
  Funding Application - "

We encourage anyone - even those who have never held, or been to a sprint -
consider holding one. We will help you as much as we can with welcome
packets,
advertising, and hooking you up with required resources - anything to make
it
possible.

As part of being approved, the you will need to agree to deliver a report
(hopefully, with pictures!) of the sprint to the Sprint Committee, so we
can
post it on the sprint blog and site:

http://www.pythonsprints.com

If you have any questions or need more information, contact us by email at
[email protected]

More information is up on our blog:
   http://pythonsprints.com/2010/07/8/call-applications-now-open/