From: Ian Eure <ieure <at> blarg.net>
Subject: Re: PEAR a way forward
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.php.pear.devel
Date: Wednesday 4th October 2006 21:12:29 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Oct 4, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Joshua Eichorn wrote:

> I believe that PEAR is a turning point, both in it's organization
> and development, and in it's continued position as a leader in the
> php developer community.
> [ snip ]
I could not agree more. With every new PHP release, the core of PEAR
is marginalized further, in that it's functionality is being
implemented in PHP itself. It's clear to me that PEAR simply cannot
proceed in the way we have in the past.

> PEAR has never had a written goal. Instead the many developers
> simply followed their own paths with their own agendas, but this
> means PEAR doesn't have the momentum and power that a single
> mission statement would provide.  The idea of open source is many
> people working together to create a superior project, a project
> that is greater then what any one person could create on their own.
>
> What I propose is a new goal for PEAR implemented along side our
> upgrades to the website an infrastructure.
>
> I think that pear needs to move forward, pushing the limits of what
> PHP can do while providing solid, forward looking classes for use
> in any php application.
> Pear should try to be the base that php developers can stand on,
> while also providing niche classes that do really cool things.

I concur. I feel that PEAR should be, predominantly, a platform for
the development and deployment of PHP libraries and applications.

While I agree with most of the broad strokes of your proposal, I feel
that a site redesign should be a secondary concern, and that the code
is what will make or break PEAR in the era of PHP 5 and beyond. To
summarize my suggestions from earlier today, I feel that, in terms of
code, we should:

- - Focus on the installer, and making it the #1 way to develop and
deploy PHP code of any sort. To this end, I feel that the following
tools would be extremely useful:
   = Subversion support, i.e. "pear svntag"
   = Some sort of front-end for creating and managing package.xml files.
   = Improved documentation (or tools) to make the more complex
features (bundles, subpackages, custom roles) more accessible.
   = Ideally, implement a way to deploy an entire application with no
more than "pear install MySite-1.0.0.tgz".

- - Dump the current PEAR class.

- - Implement a standard configuration / load / initialization system
which abstracts the class names and paths.

- - Make setting up a PEAR channel a task simple enough that anyone can
do it, so as to foster third party code libraries and applications.

- - Create compelling packages which build on the functionality in
current PHP version, instead of duplicating it. For example:
   = A database class which provides convenience for PDO, but lets
PDO handle the heavy lifting and ugly details.
   = A new form class which builds on DOMDocument, has sane group
handling and improved rendering. In general, I think that most of the
packages which deal with XML / HTML should be reimplemented to extend
from DOMDocument.