From: Rasmus Lerdorf <rasmus <at> lerdorf.com>
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] trunk is alive and open
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.php.devel
Date: Tuesday 23rd March 2010 16:59:17 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On 03/23/2010 09:36 AM, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On 23.03.2010, at 17:21, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
>> On 03/23/2010 09:11 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I would rather have some kind of rules defined before opening trunk
>>> again (or the pandora box). That's what we are discussing right now.
>>> May I know why you choosed that now is the right time to do it and
>>> declare it open?
>>
>> We have rules.  Large features, write an RFC and we discuss it.  Small
>> and obvious improvements follow commit-then-review as before.  We don't
>> need more complicated rules than that.
>

> Yeah, but I still think it would be a good idea to figure out lets say
3-5 big time features that we focus on for the next release and a rough
timeline for the next release.

> For example next major release Q2/Q3 2011:
> - traits
> - bundling APC
> - large file and big number support
> - ob patch
> - unicode improvements (*)
>
> (*) lets see what ideas we come up with, might turn out to be the big
thing or maybe just a small incremental tweak here and there

We don't need timelines right now.  What we need is some hacking time
and to bring some fun back into PHP development.  It hasn't been fun for
quite a while.  Once we have a body of new interesting stuff, we can
start pondering releases with a release branch off of trunk that might
cherry-pick a subset of the work in trunk and you can start making your
lists and setting timelines at that point.

-Rasmus