From: Johnathan Nightingale <johnath <at> mozilla.com>
Subject: Re: Security fallout of hiding tabs-on-bottom mode
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.mozilla.security
Date: Thursday 15th November 2012 06:21:06 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Nov 14, 2012, at 10:39 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:

> I believe you. However, at least reading the bugs, what seems to be
missing (as far as I can see) is an analysis of how much the need to
preserve the ability to have tabs on top or bottom complicates the tab
strip code or makes it harder to fix or refactor. Have I missed this
analysis?

> We have a toolbar customization UI which allows an arbitrary number of
toolbars with toolbar items arranged in any order the user specifies. And I
see no plans that we are going to remove this. (Are there some?) Given that
we have this level of designed flexibility, is the ability to alter toolbar
vertical ordering really such a big complexity increase above that?

We've bifurcated this thread in a way that I think is growing unhelpful.
Gavin's commenting in the d.a.f one with a clearer state of the world, and
I don't see a lot of value in having two threads in different newsgroups
for this topic. The security concern here is a red herring (or a slippery
slope, take your pick) so if we need to have conversations about how this
prospective change compares to other parts of our UI, let's take it over
there. (Though I'm not sure we do, given Gavin's latest comments on that
thread).

---
Johnathan Nightingale
VP Firefox Engineering