From: Zack Weinberg <zackw <at> panix.com>
Subject: Re: Security fallout of hiding tabs-on-bottom mode
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.mozilla.security
Date: Tuesday 13th November 2012 14:00:34 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On 2012-11-12 4:22 PM, Curtis Koenig wrote:
> While it is concerning when users choose to resist change in
> hazardous manners we cannot and should not halt forward movement due
> to the real or perceived threat that some portion of the user base
> will make ill conceived choices.

I cannot agree with this statement.  To the contrary, I think it is
*vital* that we give great weight to the possibility that "some portion
of the user base will make ill-conceived choices" whenever we make a
user-experience change.  It is abundantly clear that people will choose
the user experience they prefer over their actual security every single
time, therefore we have a *moral responsibility* to deliver the actual
security along with a user experience everyone prefers.  If that means
keeping bells and whistles around, then so be it.

Let me ask you (collectively): what would you accept as sufficient
justification to revert the changes already made in bug 755593 and/or
bug 755646?

zw

CD: 3ms