From: Zack Weinberg <zackw <at> panix.com>
Subject: Security fallout of hiding tabs-on-bottom mode
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.mozilla.security
Date: Monday 12th November 2012 14:46:11 UTC (over 5 years ago)
I'm concerned by the reaction (see the ongoing shouting in
m.d.a.firefox) to the removal of the exposed toggle for tabs on the
bottom (of the toolbar area).  Specifically, I see a surprising number
of people who say that this is *such* a deal-breaker for them that they
will not upgrade Firefox past the version that removes the toggle.  Yes,
even though it's still available through about:config.  (The rationale
seems to be that they no longer trust that the about:config option will
remain available.)

Obviously, refusing to upgrade Firefox opens up these users to serious
security risks.  I would like to suggest that we put that toggle back
in, and commit to preserving tabs-on-bottom mode for the foreseeable
future, *just because* it will encourage this upset minority of users to
continue upgrading.  Remember that the actual size of the upset minority
here is probably at least 100x larger than the number of people who have
gone to the trouble of complaining about it in the newsgroups and/or the
bug report.

zw

CD: 3ms