From: Kai Engert <kaie <at> kuix.de>
Subject: What's important after all? Reliability.
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.mozilla.devel.seamonkey
Date: Monday 16th July 2012 11:29:44 UTC (over 4 years ago)
What's important after all? Reliability.

Mozilla is a symbol and a guarantee for independence when using the Web.

I read the Mozilla mission as a desire to be the safe harbour, because
it works, because it's available for everyone, because it's free and open.

However, being a safe harbour implies reliability. After the recent
events, such as the discussion around Jono's blog etc., I believe we
should feel warned. We should accept that it could mean that Mozilla
software is being perceived as less reliable than it used to be in the
past, and we should attempt to correct that.

Only if users can rely on Mozilla software to work correctly, be stable
and secure, not remove functionality, not break compatibility, only then
the broad majority of users will perceive Mozilla software as a viable
alternative to other software.

The Mozilla project and its contributors have a limited amount of
resources. In my opinion, those resources should be focused on the
above, and any new nice-to-have features should have a much lower
priority, or rather, only worked on if any other work concerning
reliability and security has already been done. In my opinion Mozilla
should focus on the boring but important work that assures reliability.

Recently it has been announced that Thunderbird will go into maintenance
mode. Maybe it would be good to do that for Firefox, too. Stop adding
new features until people are happy with the features we already have
started to implement.

Mozilla should focus on compatibility, reliability and security. New
features should only get worked on if they are required in order to
improve these priority areas. That's my opinion.

I'm not a visionary. I just want my browser (and e-mail client) to work
right in every aspect, and to protect my security as good as possible.
And I believe this was the argument that drove most users to using
Firefox in the past. These were certainly my arguments in the past
whenever I tried to motivate people to use Firefox instead of something
else. I propose to make it the highest priority that our users will
continue to associate these attributes with Mozilla software in the future.

Being the most widely used browser in the world is irrelevant. It's
important that Mozilla software will continue to be available and
compatible when people need it, now and in the future. Other browser
makers must always be aware that they will never be able to abuse a
market dominance, because Mozilla will always be waiting for users to
come back with our arms wide open to make them feel home in the web.

"It might not have the newest feature yet, but at least it works right
and protects me", that would be my preferred description of Firefox and
other Mozilla software.

Regards
Kai

--