From: Asa Dotzler <asa <at> mozilla.com>
Subject: Weekly Engineering Newsletter 2011-06-01
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.mozilla.devel.seamonkey
Date: Thursday 2nd June 2011 03:40:11 UTC (over 6 years ago)
It’s June! And it’s issue 20 of the Weekly Engineering Newsletter, the
premier source for what’s hot and what’s not in Mozilla Engineering.
When you’ve got a need to know, I’ve got the knowledge you need.

*What You Need To Know Right Now*

Firefox 5 so close I can taste it. We have less thank three weeks to get
this version wrapped up and out the door. (The release date is *still*
June 21st.) If you know of something that needs attention for Firefox 5,
move with all deliberate haste, emphasis on both deliberate and haste.

*Planning Update*

We’re delivering a refresh to our million or so [Firefox 5] Beta users
today which includes about 25 bugfixes. On that list are several
stability fixes, several security fixes, and a very important fix to
make Panorama and Session Restore be friends. We’ve also temporarily
disabled PGO for JS while we try to sort out some stability problems
that may be attributable to PGO.

We’ll be making another build for Beta this Friday and with time running
out to catch the Firefox 5 train, you really want to get any approved
changes landed before then.

The [Firefox 6] Aurora channel is receiving daily updates. One notable
early change on Aurora was the removal of the inline auto-complete
feature which landed late in the cycle and was not ready for primetime.
Good thing another train’s coming in less than 5 weeks :-)

There’s been some confusion about what the tracking-firefox# flags are
for but no more. Christian’s got the definitive write-up on how to use
the tracking-firefox# flags over at the Channels blog:
http://blog.mozilla.com/channels/?p=346

*Must Read Blogs & News*

Nicholas Nethercote — You lose more when slow than you gain when fast
http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/2011/05/31/you-lose-more-when-slow-than-you-gain-when-fast/

Products Team — Feature Pages & Lists & Wikis, oh my
http://blog.mozilla.com/products/2011/06/01/feature-pages-lists-wikis-oh-my/

Taras Glek — Telemetry Updates
http://blog.mozilla.com/tglek/2011/06/01/telemetry-updates/

The Mozilla Blog — Official Twitter Add-on Brings Twitter Search to the
Mozilla Firefox Awesome Bar on Desktop and Mobile
http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/06/01/official-twitter-add-on-brings-twitter-search-to-the-mozilla-firefox-awesome-bar-on-desktop-and-mobile/

Blake Winton — Who should review my change?
http://weblog.latte.ca/blake/employment/mozilla/thunderbird/reviewerChooser

hacks.mozilla.org — Aurora 6 is here
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2011/05/aurora-6-is-here/

*Meetings I Went To So You Didn’t Have To*

Weekly Firefox/Gecko Development Meeting:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2011-05-31

Weekly Product Planning Meeting:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Planning/2011-06-01

Thrice-Weekly Aurora Meeting:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Aurora/2011-05-26
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Aurora/2011-05-31

*Lagniappe*

PSA: Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking.

You can find this newsletter on the Web at
http://blog.mozilla.com/engineeringnews

CD: 3ms