From: Benjamin Smedberg <benjamin <at> smedbergs.us>
Subject: Mozilla Developer Preview (Gecko 1.9.3a2) available for download
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.mozilla.announce
Date: Wednesday 3rd March 2010 14:54:07 UTC (over 6 years ago)
A Mozilla Developer Preview is now available for download. This is the
second pre-release version of the Gecko 1.9.3 platform, which forms the
core
of Firefox and other Mozilla projects.

Out-of-Process Plugins

The main feature of this release is out-of-process plugins: on Windows and
Linux, plugins such as Flash and Silverlight run in a separate process from

the browser. If a plugin crashes it will not crash the browser, and
unresponsive plugins are automatically restarted. (Note that we are working

on this for Macs as well, but is not part of this preview release.) We are
making this preview release available so that it can get wider testing and
generate feedback.

Performance Improvements

  * We’ve removed link history lookup from the main thread and made it
    asynchronous. This results in less I/O during page loads and improves
    overall browser responsiveness.
  * A large number of layout performance improvements have been made,
    including work around DOM access times, color management performance,
    text area improvements and many other hot spots in the layout engine.
  * The JavaScript engine has many improvements: String handling is
    improved, faster closures, some support for recursion in TraceMonkey to
    name a few.
  * Improvements to the performance of repainting HTML in .
  * Strings are not copied between the main DOM code and web workers,
    improving performance for threaded JavaScript which moves large pieces
    of data between threads.

Web Developer Features

  * Support for Content Security Policy. This is largely complete, minus
the
    ability to disable eval().
  * The placeholder attribute for  and