From: Sascha Peilicke <speilick <at> trolltech.com>
Subject: Re: Opensync, Syncml, Qtopia
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.misc.opensync.user
Date: Thursday 24th April 2008 07:44:31 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Hi Nazar,

maybe I can help you out, since i've currently finished exactly what you
want,
an PIM synchronization application which uses SyncML to communicate with
groupware servers and can share some hints about that.

First of all I wouldn't recommend using libsyncml from the opensync
project,
it's a rock-solid (and to my knowledge) very favorable library but it's
hard
to get that thing on the greenphone because of it's dependencies. Glibc and

libxml have a footprint around 2.5MB (correct me, but i tested it) without
your app. That's certainly too much for every embedded device, the factor
that it's written in C brings some difficulties with it too, since all the
Qt/Qtopia stuff is C++. You have two other free library options then:

The SyncML C reference implementation:
Seems to be feature-complete (no assumptions about transport) but
unmaintained
since 2004, I didn't investigate that really deep because it's almost
non-documented and difficult to understand.

The Funambol C++ Client API:
I chose this one, because it's written C++ (a really big advantage you
don't
have to write a wrapper for using it together with Qtopia) and has a
relatively big community behind it. It has drawbacks too, documentation is
poor (you will use the source, luke) and I got the feeling that this one is

more like a side-project to the funambol community (since their whole
software-stack is written in that coffee language). The nice thing it has
is
a working http transport based on libcurl (which is a 3rdparty dependency
for
now but next version of Qtopia will have it anyway) and it has a quite
elaborate API (as long as you are ready to discover this through reading
lot's of code lines :-).

I plan to release my software soon, there is some polishing necessary at
the
moment and some license clarification, I'll keep you informed if you wish.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions or remarks.
--
Sascha