From: Guenther Meyer <d.s.e-hWjJeCgBnnmj7JPsHwAtPg <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [ gpsdrive ] Displaying POIs
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.linux.gps
Date: Friday 16th July 2010 09:20:34 UTC (over 8 years ago)
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:44:40PM -0700, Hamish wrote:
> > User] Also, when it comes to updating ~/.gpsdrive/waypoints.db I can't
> > figure out which script - if any - I should use. (there's probably a
> > reason the Import GPX Waypoints options is disabled in the gui).

the Mapnik/Postgis database is not used for POI data in GpsDrive.
The POI handling is completely separated into an Sqlite database:
~/.gpsdrive/waypoints.db is used for user points,
and another one (usually /usr/share/gpsdrive/osm.db, configurable in
.gpsdriverc) for OpenStreetmap POi data.

gpsdrive-update-mapnik-poitypes.pl is totally obsolete, we better should
remove it from svn...

the tool to use is osm2poidb, which you can find at http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/export/osm2poidb/
it creates a Sqlite database from am OSM planet excerpt.

@Joerg/Hamish:
is this one already in one of the packages we provide?

You could also use one of the ready-to-use files from http://poi.gpsdrive.de/
They are usually created weekly (will be done again, when the server doing
the work is up again in a few weeks).

> that's got nothing to do with the GPX import within the app, or at least
> not yet. GPX import for waypoints is simply TODO afaik.

right, the waypoints import is still a TODO.
just throwing the points into the database (like poi-import.pl does) is not
a good solution, so it's not a task that can be done quickly. Maybe I will
have some time for that at the next hacking session in September...

> poi-import.pl looks like it might import GPX waypoints to the
waypoints.db
> file for you outside of the program.

poi-import.pl is primarily used to import waypoints from an old GpsDrive
installation using MySql, and Geocaches.
You can also import any waypoints in GPX format, but there is no dupe check
or icon/type matching.
It is more a quick hack than a real solution.

CD: 42ms