From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos <at> redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Decision time: Intel TSX Lock elision for glibc.
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lib.glibc.alpha
Date: Tuesday 2nd July 2013 16:23:55 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On 07/02/2013 11:53 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:10:43AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> I checked in the approved patches. Thanks everyone for your support.
>
> * Added support for TSX lock elision for pthread mutexes on i386 and
x86-64.
>   This may improve lock scaling of existing programs on TSX capable
systems.
>   When the --enable-lock-elision=yes parameter is specified at configure
>   time lock elision will be enabled by default for all
PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT
>   mutexes.

Thank you for checking this in.

I appreciate the work you've put in to enable this support.

I know it has not been easy and that it has consumed a lot of you
time, and I appreciate that.

There is still more work ahead of us as we look at the top-down
API required to directly or indirectly control elision for a lock.

> How can a decision be made on the rwlocks now (and later the other
patches?)

I will reach out the Austin Group immediately to discuss this
issue.

Cheers,
Carlos.

CD: 48ms