From: Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution-m3FHrko0VLzYtjvyW6yDsg <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: [Deferred] SE-0058 Allow Swift types to provide custom Objective-C representations
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution
Date: Wednesday 13th April 2016 17:50:05 UTC (about 1 year ago)
The review of SE-0058 "Allow Swift types to provide custom Objective-C
representations" ran from April 4...11, 2016. The proposal has been
deferred from Swift 3. We agree that it would be valuable to give library
authors the ability to bridge their own types from Objective-C into Swift
using the same mechanisms as Foundation. However, we lack the confidence
and implementation experience to commit to `_ObjectiveCBridgeable` in its
current form as public API. In its current form, as its name suggests, the
protocol was designed to accommodate the specific needs of bridging
Objective-C object types to Swift value types. In the future, we may want
to bridge with other platforms, including C++ value types or other object
systems such as COM, GObject, JVM, or CLR. It isn't clear at this point
whether these would be served by a generalization of the existing
mechanism, or by bespoke bridging protocols tailored to each case. This is
a valuable area to explore, but we feel that it is too early at this point
to accept our current design as public API.

CD: 4ms