From: Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Modularisation of Scala
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.scala.internals
Date: Wednesday 2nd September 2009 10:37:29 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Following on from my previous blog post on the subject [1] a few
people expressed an interest in being able to help drive this
forwards. In the spirit of open and inclusion discussion, we should
use an open mailing list to discuss ideas, and so that they're
publicly visible after the fact.

It has been suggested (by Miles and Heiko) that we use the scala-
internals mailing list to bring this debate to the table. It's a
public list, but you need to be subscribed to send messages to the
list [2]. By all accounts, this is a relatively low-volume list (in
the order of 5 messages per day [3]) so hopefully this won't dissuade
people from joining in in order to contribute. If it is, I can be a
gateway and forward messages to the list on your behalf.

If the existing membership of scala-internals object or disagree that
this is the best place to have the conversation, please let me know
and I'll set up a separate Google Groups to discuss this on.

So far, the discussion has just started; Heiko has been OSGi-fying the
current Scala modules [4], Josh Suereth has been looking at Mavenizing
the Scala build process and modularizing Scala along with it [5], and
Roman has taken what Heiko has done and extracted out the Actors,
Concurrent, Testing and XML into separate modules [6].

I'll wait a day for people to sign up on the list (instructions at
[2]) and for any existing members of the scala-internals to object to
this use of the mailing list, and then start the ball rolling tomorrow
with a document designed to describe the end goals of modularisation.

Alex

[1] http://alblue.blogspot.com/2009/08/modularity-for-scala.html
[2] http://listes.epfl.ch/doc_en.cgi?liste=scala-internals
[3] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.scala.internals