From: Huw Collingbourne <huw <at> DELTHISBITdarkneon.com>
Subject: Re: What is your favourite IDE? Eclipse DLTK!
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.ruby.general
Date: Thursday 12th April 2007 22:00:05 UTC (over 10 years ago)
"Todd Werth"  wrote in message
news:951f0bf1b085875916af2db2775c4a4d@ruby-forum.com...
> Peter C. Verhage wrote:
> I see a lot of people say something like "it is more than code
> completion, it's IntelliSense".  Many IDEs have similar, or even better,
> features than MS does with their IntelliSense.  They just can't call it
> that for legal reasons.

Bear in mind also that IntelliSense means on-the-fly code analysis. It
isn't
just code completion. Many IDEs provide code completion based on simple
alphabetical lists or using method names declared in the current code file.

That is a long way from IntelliSense. To provide IntelliSense, you need to
interpret the code - not only the code that's being edited, but also also
any changes that editing changes might introduce going right up the class
hierarchy. In other words, a real IntelliSense system is an interpreter,
not
just a 'method-lookup' tool.

We've put a great deal of effort into Ruby In Steel's IntelliSense system
and you might therefore understand why we are a little sensitive to other
IDE's claims to IntelliSense when what they generally mean is 'code
completion' ;-)

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

http://www.sapphiresteel.com