From: Steffen Mueller <l2ot9pa02 <at> sneakemail.com>
Subject: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.perl5.porters
Date: Wednesday 26th December 2007 14:05:23 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Hi p5p,

I'm sure this proposal will be shot down in a second and I'll be banned
from posting to perl5-porters again*, but I'd never forgive myself for
not trying:

Personally, I've always wanted perl to have strictures on by default for
my code. I would think that 95% of all code bases which were written in
this century and which are of non-negligible size import "strict". I
don't use strictures for one-liners, of course, but for anything else
it's a must. It seems to me like others have similar views on this. Try
posting some code without "use strict" to some newsgroup or forum and
ask for help. Make sure not to give out your email address, though.

"use 5.10.0;" already auto-imports feature.pm and loads the 5.10
specific features.

How about having "use 5.11.0;" (or 5.12.0) automatically import strict
along with the 5.10+5.11 feature set? Naturally, the -E switch for
one-liners should *not* do that.

This would *not* break backwards compatibility. This would not affect
one-liners. This would optimize for the common case: If you write enough
code to make importing optional features worthwhile, odds are very high
you'd be importing "strict" anyway. The 5% who need to disable
strictures again can still add a "no strict;" statement.

strictures-correct code has been best-practice for a long time now.
Let's make it the default for *new* code.

Just think of strictures as a feature. It just makes sense.

Cheers,
Steffen

* I'm having a bad day already. Come on make it worse! ;)

CD: 4ms