From: Darin McBride <dmcbride <at> cpan.org>
Subject: Re: Perl secret operators manual page
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.perl5.porters
Date: Wednesday 23rd May 2012 16:33:20 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Wednesday May 23 2012 4:30:35 PM Philippe Bruhat wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 10:25:39AM +0200, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
> > After some work on github, I have pushed (during the Perl QA Hackathon
> > in Paris) a book/perlsecret branch that contains a new manual page
> > (perlsecret.pod, not referenced in the main perl.pod) and a new test
> > script (secret.t, under t/japh, so that it's only run during
torturetest).

> > Thanks for considering it for inclusion in a future Perl release.
>
> Now that 5.16 is out, I'd like to discuss the inclusion of this minor
> (and hidden) addition to the Perl documentation.

It'd be nice to have it all in one place, but I'd like to make a couple of
(minor?) suggestions:

1. Label the "secret" operators that are encouraged (Venus, Bang bang,
Eskimo
greeting, and maybe Babycart, I think) to distinguish them from the
"obscure
to the uninitiated".

I get this is a judgement call, and exactly which ones get "acceptable"
status
is open to interpretation, but our docs already detail suggestions on
readability, maintainability, etc., so I think such suggestion is valid
here,
too.

2. I know what =()= is normally called.  But as soon as you put "don't
google
this", you know what's going to happen.  At a bare (no pun intended)
minimum,
it should be labelled as Not Safe For Work.  I would prefer that for
official-
like documentation, we simply avoid it altogether.  The "Saturn" moniker is

better anyway, could we just use that here?

CD: 3ms