From: Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis <at> gmx.de>
Subject: Re: with malice aforethought (Re: Unicode cheatsheet for Perl)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.perl5.porters
Date: Monday 27th February 2012 01:23:45 UTC (over 5 years ago)
* Tom Christiansen  [2012-02-26 20:25]:
> The thing I don't want is to have to tell people that they cannot
> trust perl -C, that they cannot trust PERL_UNICODE, that they cannot
> trust use utf8, that that they cannot trust use open, that they cannot
> trust binmode, that they cannot trust :encoding(UTF-8), and that the
> only thing they can trust is laborious and error-prone manual
> encoding/decoding with FB_CROAK.

No one else here wants that either. Seriously! You do not have to argue
that this should be fixed: everyone agrees with you. Everyone wants this
corrected.

So the only issue is whether to tarpit the release for what has been
busted for 10 years already and will be busted another few years after
it is fixed until end users have the fix. Can it be so urgent that it
has to be done in a last-minute rush, and is it so much more important
than all other things that have happened in 5.16 that they deserve to be
delayed in the meantime?

I believe the answer to that, and to that only, is a firm no.

In fact this is too important a matter to be left for a last minute
rush. It deserves to be fixed with deliberation and proper care.

Maybe it will be fixed in 5.18, or maybe it will not be fixed completely
until 5.20 but we will see the situation substantially improved in 5.18.

However long it takes, though: yes, it is worth fixing. And it will be
fixed. Yes, people should be able to trust -C and PERL_UNICODE and
binmode and, even, :utf8 (and not just the :encoding(UTF-8) longhand!).
All stand in agreement on this. Do not cry for Perl just yet.

> Absolutely nothing depends upon any particular release date

The *date* is irrelevant.

The *rhythm* is paramount.

What depends on the rhythm, what is at stake, is whether is the work of
p5p reaches users in a sane time frame. Disregard the rhythm at risk of
leaving users in a drought, ironically due to best intentions. We know
this to be true because we saw it happen. And we know the catastrophe
from sticking to the rhythm to not be true because after 5.12 we saw it
pass us by.

> I am very uncomfortable with the idea of relentlessly charging ahead
> toward a release like a freight train with no brakes.

Hey, I can see the next one from here already! Up there at the horizon!
Get ready to jump on!

Regards,