From: Christian Hansen <christian.hansen <at> mac.com>
Subject: Re: Unicode cheatsheet for Perl
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.perl5.porters
Date: Tuesday 21st February 2012 00:21:30 UTC (over 5 years ago)
21 feb 2012 kl. 00:58 skrev Tom Christiansen:

> Why does it take a new layer?  Why not just make the things
> that get fatalized by
>
>    use warnings FATAL => "utf8";
>
> fatal without saying that?

I would love for this to happen, I have advocated this on #p5p several
times, but there is always the battle of  "backwards compatibility
disease". About 10 months ago I reported a security issue reading the
relaxed UTF-8 implementation (still undisclosed and still exploitable) on
the perl security mailing list.

What you state above, was the reason I implemented Unicode::UTF8, but it
only decodes strings, not I/O (good enough for me and my clients as most of
our my data is small, few MBytes).

If there would be a consensus in this matter I would happily devote time to
see this implemented and tested [1]

[1] I will not provide a UTF-EBCIDIC implementation, as I believe that's is
an ancient encoding not used by/endorsed by vendor.

--
chansen

CD: 10ms