From: Sean Davis <sdavis2 <at> mail.nih.gov>
Subject: Re: Getting sequences by base pair locations
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general
Date: Friday 28th July 2006 15:21:09 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Chris Fields wrote:

> Would be nice to have a more automated and direct way of doing something
> along these lines within bioperl (with the obvious caveat of not spamming
> the server).  You can currently retrieve chunks of sequence based on
start,
> stop, strand from GenBank.

The ENSembl API has some features that can be useful for these types of
things.

I, personally, have a mirror of the UCSC mysql database (very easy to do
with just rsync and mysql) and try to turn questions like these into SQL
queries.  That, combined with Bio::DB::Fasta, can make a useful
automated pipeline for getting arbitrary sequences associated with
genomic locations meeting specific criteria.  It is much faster than
anything one can do over the web and doesn't have access limitations.

Sean

CD: 3ms