From: Dave Kuhlman <dkuhlman <at> cutter.rexx.com>
Subject: Re: about readline in jython
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.jython.user
Date: Tuesday 14th February 2006 21:12:13 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Khalid Zuberi  gmail.com> writes:

> On 2/13/06, fo  gmail.com> wrote:
> > i hava compild jython whith readline.jar yet, but it seems jython has
not
> > get it up. what should i do? thanks.
>
> Here's some discussion from the list archives that may help:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.jython.user/4009
>
> Suppose i should document that on a wiki page.  Or maybe Console.py in
> Demo/swing could substitute in a pinch since it at least gives access
> to the command history?

You might also want to add a note about rlwrap to the Wiki.

Here is a bit of explanation from the rlwrap README:

    rlwrap is a 'readline wrapper', a small utility that uses the GNU
    readline library to allow the editing of keyboard input for any
    command. I couldn't find anything like it when I needed it, so I wrote
    this one back in 1999.  By now, there are a number of good readline
    wrappers around, like rlfe, distributed as part of the GNU readline
    library, and cle (http://kaolin.unice.fr/Cle/).

    rlwrap should be especially useful when you need user-defined
    completion (by way of completion word lists) and persistent
    history. Moreover, it should be portable across a fairly wide range of
    Unix systems (it works under cygwin as well)

In brief, rlwrap provides command line history, command line
editing, and a bit of word completion.

For those of us unable or unwilling to build Jython from source,
it provides a useful solution to this problem.

Dave