From: Charlie Moad <cwmoad <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Quick readline question
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.jython.user
Date: Friday 11th November 2005 21:16:57 UTC (over 12 years ago)
Thanks to Khalid I got this working.  Here is what I had to do in case
anyone else comes looking.  These instructions pertain to jython-cvs
and ubuntu.

Install java readline library:
apt-get install libreadline-java

In ant.properties for building jython:
readline.jar=/usr/share/java/libreadline-java.jar

Using "-jar jython.jar" ignores the CLASSPATH.  Must use class name,
org.python.util.jython, to launch.

Make sure libJavaReadline.so is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/jni

Finally the launch script contents (/usr/local/bin/jython):
#!/bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/jni
java -cp /usr/share/java/libreadline-java.jar:/usr/share/java/jython.jar
-Dpython.home=/usr/local/src/jython/jython/dist org.python.util.jython
"[email protected]"